Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankfulness--Day 26

Today I am thankful for my family's health. In a way that seems so cliche, but I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that my husband, my children and I are incredibly blessed with good health.

I read so may heart wrenching blogs from people who are dealing with terminal illness. My soul aches for them. I know people whose children suffer from incurable diseases that have forever changed their lives. I can only imagine. Then there are those who are trying desperately to conceive, have endured miscarriages and stillbirths, or face the uphill battle of trying to help people understand their child's extreme special needs. I am moved beyond words, but I know I have no frame of reference because I have not walked in those shoes. I have never been one to look at other people's situations and say, "Wow, that really makes me thankful for what I have." To me that implies a mentality of "I'm-glad-its-them-and-not-me". I do not try to put myself in their place and think about if it were my child or my husband, because that takes the focus off of their pain and puts it on me. And its not about me. So I pray for these people, some I have never met, and some I've known my whole life. I pray for them, not because I imagine how they feel based on what I imagine I would feel in that situation; but because I know The One who does know exactly how they feel.

But last night our pastor said that thankfulness has three roles:
...it recognizes God's position as Creator and Sustainer.
...it provides a means for us to bless God.
...it is an instrument of remembering our place before Him.

So while I do not want to have a "thank-goodness-its-not-me" outlook, I also cannot take for granted the health our family enjoys. I don't know why He's blessed us, but I want to bless Him with my overflowing gratitude.

For our health and so much more, I am very thankful.

No comments: