Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thankfulness--Day 13

Today I am thankful for Godly women who have mentored me. First, of course, is my mother. (She gets a post of her own later this month.)
Next, is my youth minister from high school, Becky. She came to our church when I was in about the eighth grade. Once I got over the initial disappointment that she was not a really good-looking young single guy or older, but with a good-looking single son about my age (ok, so my priorities at 14 were a little messed up) I quickly attached myself to her. Or she attached to me, I'm not sure which. But she began to disciple and mentor me in ways that have shaped the person I am today. I know I am not the only person to have benefited from her legacy, but I am certainly one of the most grateful.
When I went to college, Robbi was the associate BSM director. She was/is one of the most intelligent and strongest women I know. She has such a heart for missions and international students. She has devoted her life to not only showing God's love to people who are far away from home, but also equipping those who are far away with their own resources for sharing God's love. I am blessed that my path crossed hers.
And finally, Sharon, is a precious lady who was my Bible study leader for several years when Joel first changed ministries and we were able to go to "grown up" Sunday school. I don't believe I've ever met another person who has such a commanding hold on Scripture. By trade, she is a dyslexia teacher, so she is able to present Biblical concepts in a way that even those of us who are "spiritually learning disabled" can understand and apply. She has a heart for children. She is on the frontline by choosing to minister in the public school setting. She is artistic and creative and I want to be just.like.her. when I grow up.
Mrs. Jettie, Mrs. Cheryl, Karla, Mary G, Ms. Sybil, Patti H, Paula Shaw and my sweet cousin, Debbie also come to mind as ladies who have supported me, encouraged me, challenged me and enriched my life for having known them. For this and so much more, I am very thankful.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Brooke Frasers CD is on my wishlist...I am so glad to have found her and her lyrics.
Another Thankful thing...Good Music and Lyrics

Cheryl Hyatt said...

You are correct, Denyse, in mentioning so many women who have made an impact on my life. Thank you, too, for mentioning me. It is very easy to love you and encourage you and yours!!

Anonymous said...

How great to have had so many wonderful mentors.

Thanks for visiting me in Sweden!

Debbie said...

Having grown up Catholic I didn't really have anybody who really taught me about having a personal relationship with Christ. You are blessed that you had that at 14...a criticial time in our lives. This was great post Denyse!!

Anonymous said...

Denyse, Wow, I'm totally amazed. I read through your 30 days of Thankfulness blogs and am more amazed. What a creative, loving person you are. Maybe the mentors in your life just helped bring out the best that was already there. It is so strange how life seems to cycle around. My BSU days at Tech were some of the most meaningful in my life. I really have missed those relationships. Now with all the social connections on the internet, those friends are popping up everywhere. It is so good to see how the Lord has lived life through you all these years later! This week a student friend from early Tech days just walked in the door at UT BSM looking for me. It was a gift. As is your blog and your heart. Thanks Denyse.