Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thankfulness--Day 22

Today I am thankful for my husband's sense of humor...and text messaging. Yesterday I went to the craft store to get some supplies. As I was standing in the bead aisle, there was an elderly man and woman discussing beading wire. They were bickering. At first I thought it was just good-natured marital banter, but then I realized what horrible things the man was saying and that he was serious. "I should have known better than to bring you here...Why do you need someone who works here? They're going to tell you the same thing I just did...Read the package yourself if you don't believe me..." Finally, the woman said, "Don't make a fool of yourself here in public." I guess they realized how loud their discussion had become. At this point, he unleashed a string of profanity and words so harsh that I know the look of horror must have shown on my face even though I was trying desperately to busy myself with choosing a toggle clasp. "Just get it, and let's go!" he said gruffly and herded the poor old woman toward the front muttering even more ugly words under his breath. I stood there somewhat stunned for a moment...trying to decide whether to laugh because they were having such a silly argument over choosing between 24 gauge or 28 gauge wire; or cry because they had both spewed such foul and bitter words and treated each other so awfully. I was sorry for them. So I texted Joel and said, "Please promise me that when I'm old and can't decide what I need from the bead aisle, you won't cuss at me." As I typed, I realized that he's shopped with me enough and knows full well how indecisive I can be, especially when it comes to beading supplies. If he hasn't lost his temper yet, he's probably not going to. And since he never, ever uses foul language, it was a doubly moot point. However, in typical BigJoel style, he replied (and I quote) "F%*& that $#@+!" I laughed out loud. Right there in the store. I *effin* love that guy.

For this and so much more, I am very thankful.

1 comment:

Paige said...

What a wonderful man you have:)