Friday, January 1, 2010

The "Best" Beginning

The topic for this month's NaBloPoMo is "Best". The premise is to blog every day for a month about the theme. That's pretty ambitious for a slacker such as myself. I'm not sure I can post every day, much less, stick to the topic. But here goes...
I'm not one for making New Year's Resolutions, because I don't deal well with failure. But there are a few habits I'd like to form and a few changes I'd like to implement this year. More on that later...maybe. Anyway, our pastor has challenged our church to read the Bible through in chronological order this year. It won't be the first time I've aspired to do this, but maybe I'll at least make it through Leviticus. I've completed Day 1--Genesis 1-3. Only 364 days to go.
Now I've read the Creation and Fall stories a hundred times or more, but the thing that stuck out to me this morning was this verse:
And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. --Genesis 1:31
Here's the thought that came to mind~God did His best. When He created the heavens and earth, He wasn't haphazard or lazy. When He created man, He didn't wait until the last minute before the assignment was due. As He laid out the universe, He didn't say, "I'll throw this together now because I can always come back and fix it later." No, He did His best...so that at the end of each day, He was able to look around as say, "This is good. This is very good."
So in facing this new year, my prayer is that I will give/do my best to honor Him so that at the end of each day I can say, "This is good." ~And maybe even hear Him say in response, "This is very good."

2 comments:

themil10s said...

A great way to start the new year indeed!

Anjolee said...

Something I needed to hear. Thanks for posting. I need to work on this.