Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Winter Jamming

A few weeks ago, BigJoel scored us some tickets to WinterJam, a Christian concert featuring about a bajillion different bands. Ok, not really a bajillion, but a LOT~Revive, Robert Pierre, Fireflight, Sidewalk Prophets, Tenth Ave North, Newsong, Newsboys, and Third Day. I didn't get a lot of pictures, (I don't know why) but here are a few highlights of the evening.

Hallie wasn't so sure what to think of a particular band (who shall remain nameless).

Michael Tait, formerly of DC Talk, is the new lead singer of the Newsboys. I love DC Talk. I love the Newsboys. But I still can't quite get on board with this recent development. It's kind of like the old Reese's commercials: "You got chocolate in my peanut butter!" "Well, you got peanut butter in my chocolate!" Sorry guys, in my humble opinion, Tait and Newsboys do not a peanut butter cup make.

Then Third Day took the stage. And now I remember why I didn't take a lot of pictures. I was sitting behind this kid~the brother of the Freakishly Tall Girl who normally stands in front of me at concerts. I believe his name is "Obnoxiously Oblivious Boy".

But in the end, the show received Hallie's stamp of approval~she fell asleep. Seriously, Hallie sleeps through all the best concerts: David Crowder Band, Evenstill and Third Day. After seven years, she still can't stay awake through an entire MercyMe set. Have you ever been to a show like that? It is loud...and there are lots of bright lights and flashing videos. How anyone can fall asleep in the middle of that is beyond me! (I have a theory that Hal's little brain is so busy with imaginings and stories and Lord-only-knows-what-else that a loud, blaring, rock concert is actually a peaceful retreat in comparison...)
So the concert was great, with the exception that my favorite band in the line-up, Tenth Avenue North, didn't get to play nearly as long as I would've liked. But all in all, we heard some great music and spent a wonderful evening together as a family. Who could ask for anything more?

5 comments:

Paisley said...

My granddaughter and I went to the WinterJam too. She also fell asleep during Third Day but only for about 2 songs and then she was back up dancing again. She has also fell asleep during a MercyMe concert too. She was excited about seeing Tenth Avenue North and couldn't wait to see Mike (she thinks he is cute what can I say she is 9 yrs old). We both love their music and were disappointed that they didn't play longer. I understand about the tall people because they almost always sit in front of me. Fortunately, not that night.

Sarah said...

Michael Tait joined Newsboys? How did I not know this?

Love DC Talk. Love TobyMac. Haven't heard Tait with Newsboys - that I know of...

Unknown said...

So... I so rarely ever read blogs anymore (surpised?) but just happened to click through to yours and lo & behold... an evenstill shout-out!! I love how you just flippantly threw us right in between Crowder and Third Day! As far as Tenth Avenue North is concerned... yes, they deserved more time (wonder if they were having to buy onto the tour or not), but their short amount of time is a lot better than anything I've got! :)
QUICK PLUG for anyone reading this - you can download the evenstill album "Join the Song" for FREE or pay what you want at: http://evenstill.bandcamp.com

Diana Ferguson said...

Glad you found Texas=Blogging Gals. I will get you on the next updated list.

Enjoyed a first visit here. Following.....
BTW, I'm north of Dallas.

Come see me soon!

themil10s said...

Although we looked into going, it just didn't work out for us. Love Hallie's expression! That picture says SO much.