Monday, March 15, 2010

Peru or Bust

Hallie recently brought home a composition she'd written in school. It sounds suspiciously like someone we know, even though she wrote it in first person perspective. I have to say it brought a little tear to my eye, so I thought I'd share it here. She's only ten, but I think "someone" has already rubbed off on her.
Peru
by HallieB

"Snap! The lady at the drugstore took the picture for my passport. I have never liked planes, but I was willing to do anything for those poor little orphans in Peru. Every time I get on a plane I blank, so I have to take these things I call my "Happy Pills" which make me drowsy and I soon drift off to sleep. When they called my flight to get on the plane I hauled my luggage up the ramp, sat in my seat and took my happy pills. The pills sent me to sleep quickly so I am unaware of what happened on my flight.

As I awoke from my daze, I realized that I was in Peru, South America. When I emerged from the airport I was very confused and did not know where I was going, so I just walked to the first American person I could see.

When I got to the orphanage I got teary eyed seeing all the little children. I knew I had done the right thing. I walked nervously into the orphanage, when I caught the sweet innocent eyes of a little boy who's name was Edwen. He had dark hair and big brown eyes. Then I looked around and saw many sweet and precious faces. Then I heard a sad story of how most people in Peru do not want little daughters, only sons. And that most boys in the orphanage have special needs. Some poor children looked as helpless as newborn kittens. I felt like I was doing the right thing although I was going to miss my friends and family. I felt like a good person. And I think it would be pretty easy to get used to this style of living for just one year. I may not even want to leave my new family in Peru."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

that's awesome.
i especially like that she calls them her "happy pills".

Sturgmom said...

Happy pills! HAHAHA!

Very sweet essay. :)

Paisley said...

She did a great job on the essay. Looks like she is going to have the gift of writing. The "happy pills", I love it!

Nancy said...

I've seen those pills at work first hand. Delightful insight and understanding for what "someone" has been experiencing.

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE THIS!!! I have to say, though, that I'm a little worried about the flippant way Hallie talks about my happy pills... I would like to say, for the record, that I only find my happiness in drugs when I'm flying ;)

Michelle B. said...

She is taking after her mom with the gift of writing! Love it!