Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Deck the Halls--Santa Gator

I enjoyed having a theme for November (Thirty Days of Thankfulness), so I was kind of at a loss when December rolled around. But as we were decorating our Christmas tree and trying to find places to display all my nativity sets, I had the most brilliant idea! One of the best parts of putting the ornaments on the tree is recalling when and where they came from. Every year I think to myself, "I should write all this down to pass on to the girls after BigJoel and I have ...well... 'passed' on." It may or may not be of much interest to anyone else, but I've decided to dedicate this month to sharing some of my favorite ornaments/nativities. So, don your gay apparel and fa-la-la-la-follow me down Memory Lane.


Joel and I bought this little gator guy on our honeymoon in New Orleans 17 years ago. It was one of our first purchases as husband and wife. We left the store with it and Joel promptly proceeded to swing the bag into a post causing the gator's tail to break off. Had I been a superstitious person, I might have been concerned that this was an omen. But fortunately, a little SuperGlue works wonders. The ornament survived and so has our marriage.

2 comments:

Sturgmom said...

Great idea! Love your Gator! And I mean that in the most literal way possible.

I was swinging some garland the other night during the annual Put Up the Christmas Decor event and broke the head off one of my wisemen. Wonder what that means... :)

By the way, thanks to your 30 days of thankfulness, I had a stroke of genius of my own and I'm going to do "My Favorite Things" from now until Christmas. Keep an eye out. I doubt it will be as profound as your gratitude, but maybe fun nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

I get each of my kids an ornament every year that represents something that they loved or accomplished that year. I also take a photo of it and am making a scrapbook with the photo and the story behind it. It is fun every year to retell the stories of each ornament as we decorate the tree.

Thanks for sharing your stories.