Thursday, October 9, 2008

I Heard the Owl Call My Name

I hate birds in real life. I'm terrified of them. But for some reason, I love owls and sparrows as fashion accessories. I read this book called, I Heard the Owl Call My Name when I was in high school. It was about a young vicar and a Native American tribe. If I remember correctly, according to tradition, hearing an owl call one's name signaled impending death. (Maybe that's why I don't like birds?) Anyway, a while back, I ordered these vintage lucite owl beads from ebay. I just thought they were so adorable, I got them in every color! Red, green, orange, black, white and turquoise. As is often the case when I buy beads I love, when I sit down to create with them I just can't settle on what I want to do. They just won't "speak" to me and tell me what they want to be. But with Halloween and Fall here, I just knew these little guys would love to be festive fun earrings. The owl pendant is one I made from shrinkydink plastic and then strung on a necklace made with seed beads. I mentioned earlier this week that Hallie and I had worked on some jewelry together, so I just wanted to share. What do you think? If you like any of them, they are for sale over in my Etsy shop. Was that shameless? I'm sorry. But I just know these owls are calling somebody's name, not to warn of imminent danger, but to say, "Hey! Won't I look cute with that fall outfit?!" Ok, enough.

3 comments:

Kimberly Carpenter said...

I love birds! I guess it is okay if we are different. :) The jewelry is really cute!

WheresMyAngels said...

I love birds but my husband is terrified of them! He screamed like a baby the day my parrot flew at his head.

Tara said...

I'm not a fan of birds either, but these are cute! Great job!