Monday, May 26, 2008

Poor Pluto


We've been working on a solar system project for Hallie's class today. She decided to make a book about the planets using a little song that I used to teach my Kindergarten students. Its called The Family of the Sun and its sung to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell. We always had great fun learning it as we traveled through the galaxy in my classroom and I must admit that most of what I know about the solar system I learned after I started teaching 6 year olds. Back to Hallie's project, the next to last verse is about Pluto:

Pluto's last in line
Its farthest from the sun
Its small and cold and icy, too
To land there won't be fun
Ok, so I've been out of the classroom since Pluto's demotion. I'm not exactly sure of the politically correct way to handle the little guy. It seems unkind to completely snub him, acting as if he never existed all this time. Yet, the NASA gods have spoken and he really doesn't meet
the criteria of a full-fledged planet. So we put our creative minds together and came up with a feeble attempt to pay tribute to the dwarf planet.


Pluto's last in line
Its farthest from the sun
We used to think it was a planet
But now those days are done.

Poor Pluto...

1 comment:

Kimberly Carpenter said...

Dude!! I am out of the loop! I didn't know Pluto had been demoted. How sad!