Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ignorance is Bliss

Driving through Louisiana, one sees lots of strange things...like this sign. It made me wonder what exactly is a Baptist Pumpkin Center? How does a pumpkin become Baptist? Are there Methodist and Presbyterian pumpkins also? Do they celebrate Halloween at the Center?
However, when I googled Baptist Pumpkin Center to find out more about this religious movement among gourds, I learned that "Baptist' and "Pumpkin Center" are merely two separate towns in Louisiana (which is not nearly as interesting as the prospect of protestant pumpkins). Sometimes knowing too much takes all the fun out of things. *sigh*

4 comments:

Jamie Mullins said...

I passed that very sign SO many times when we were living in Louisiana!! When I was younger I always envisioned it being some sort of Baptist Encampment of sorts. You're right, sometimes, left to the imagination, things are MUCH more interesting!!

Jill said...

Recently I drove by a Frog Ministries.. I had to stop and check the place out. It was truly a little church all decked out with FROGS... What is this world coming to??

themil10s said...

We also saw strange signs when we traveled. We thought LA and AL both had unusual signs. It was good to be home in TX where everything makes sense!

Ronnica said...

Strange names...but stranger together!